Category: Best Original Song - Vocal & Composition
1st Place - Connor Zwetsch: Discover
2nd Place - Tony McGee: Free Parking
3rd Place - Nickole Hanna: Island Song
Category: Most Originality
1st Place - Hector Rodz: Reason And Wonder
2nd Place - Jakey Moops Mersch: Make Me Whole
3rd Place - Jeff Morgan: Love In A Trail Of Tears
To join in this year's Original Song Contest you will need to be a member of TNGS. To become a member, sign up via www.thenextgreatsinger.com. Sign up is free and made easy by using either your facebook, google, or yahoo accounts.
1. Write a new song or choose an old original song that you have written.
2. Record yourself singing your original song using your microphone and camera. You're able to use an original accompaniment track or play a live instrument for your song.
3. Previously recorded videos are not accepted. This contest requires you to record a new video of your original song for this specific contest.
4. A recorded intro at the same time of the recording is mandatory. Any videos submitted without the intro will not be accepted. Your verbal intro must be a part of your originally recorded video and must be recorded at the same time you record your song. To ensure that your video is not disqualified, the judges suggest that this intro is used, "My name is (enter name) and this video is for The Next Great Singer's Original Song Contest 2011. I hereby claim that this song is my original work."
5. Upload your video recording to The Next Great Singer using this link. Uploaded videos should be 100MB or less in .mov, .mp4, .mpg, .avi, .wmv, .3gp, and .3g2 file formats. Embedded videos from external sites (youtube, facebook, vimeo, etc..) will not be accepted for this contest.
6. Label your uploaded video: "Your Name: Original Song Contest 2011". If you fail to label your video correctly it may be overlooked in the tagging process.
7. After your videos are submitted it may take up to 48 hours to be tagged. Once tagged, all contest videos can be viewed by clicking the following link:
There is no entry limit. You can submit as many original song videos as you would like. Just be sure that all videos meet the above criteria.
You may submit videos until 11:59pm, Pacific Time, on Wednesday June 8th. You may enter as many videos as you would like.
****Member comments, Facebook "Likes", as well as the TNGS judging panel will decide on three winners per category. Due to the nature of this site, the number of video views will not be used for consideration. People must comment and rate the video for their view to count.
Winners will be announced by Monday, July 1, 2011
Categories and Criteria
This contest will feature two categories:
Best Original Song- Composition & Vocal Performance - judges will look at the songs melody, hook (melodic and/or rhythmic), your singing ability, rhythmic flow and continuity, creativity, etc.
Best Original Song - Most Originality - judges will look at the songs originality, melodic structure, rhythmic flow, continuity, creativity, etc.
All songs will automatically be entered into both categories by default. Videos are eligible to win in both categories. If you have won a TNGS contest before, you are eligible to participate in this contest.
***All songs for this contest must contain vocalized lyrics.
***Singers face must be shown at all times.
***Lip syncing and overdubs on prerecorded songs are prohibited. If we feel that you are lip syncing or have not followed the rules correctly, you will be contacted and asked to rerecord your video.
Both categories will feature the listed prizes:
1st Place: $50 plus a featured Interview
2nd Place: $25
3rd Place: $15
Be sure that you prepare and practice your song before you record it. After recording, review your video to ensure it is exactly how you would like it.
This is a great opportunity for everyone to explore their songwriting skills and showcase their original songs. Keep in mind that you do not have to play another instrument to write songs.